Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or any other winter holiday — the gift giving season is here. If you have a cosplayer in your life, it can be tricky to decide what to give them! Luckily, your friendly neighborhood cosplayer (me!) is here to share some cosplay gift ideas that any crafty cosplayer would love.
Cosplay Gift Guide
1. Inspirational Coffee Table Book. Motivation is a constant issue for any cosplayer, so why not give a beautiful photo book of cosplayers? I love Cosplay in America Volume 2 or Cosplay Deviants for a slightly-more-risque choice. (Read my review of the first Cosplay Deviants book here!)
2. Worbla. There’s no denying that worbla is the trendiest cosplay material right now. It’s basically a moldable thermoplastic with endless possibilities. The downside of worbla is that it’s a little pricy. Why not give the cosplay gift of testing out a cool new material without the cost?
3. Kamui Cosplay e-Books. Kamui is a master at armor, LED, prop weapons, and more. Her instructional books would be a welcome addition for any cosplayer! Bonus: Her e-books are only $5 each, though she has printed copies available for $20 each as well.
4. Sewing Classes — IRL or Online. If your cosplayer wants to hone their craft, a sewing class or two might be on their wish list! You can simply search for classes near you, or check out Craftsy for digital, choose-your-pace classes.
5. A Photography Session. Cosplayers can spend hours and hours on a costume, only to completely forget about documenting the final result! Purchasing a session with a local photographer (either at a convention or otherwise) is a thoughtful gesture that ensures their hard work is recorded.
6. Adjustable Dress Form. If your cosplayer friend sews and lacks a dress form, do them a favor and get one for them! It really helps to have something else hold your sewing while making adjustments.
7. Prints of their Favorite Cosplayer. I love having my favorite cosplay inspirations in my work space to motivate me! This is one reason I make sure to grab Yaya Han’s calendar every year. Plus, this gift idea is a great way to support other creators! Simply search on their favorite cosplayer’s social media and see if they have prints available.
8. Arda Wigs Color Ring. Ordering wigs online is tricky since monitor displays are different from screen to screen. Arda Wigs offers a ring of all their fiber colors to check in person (and in different lighting) to avoid accidentally ordering the wrong color.
9. Those Who Cosplay Together Top. This design would make an adorable gift for anyone with a cosplay partner-in-crime! You can choose from t-shirts, tanks, and more.
10. Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Camera. This modern instant camera has become one of my favorite ways of capturing memories at conventions! An instant camera is fun, small and easy to carry around, and instantly documents a costume. Plus — they’re just plain fun!
11. Jo-Ann Fabrics Gift Card. For all the hot glue sticks, patterns, thread, glitter, fabric, scissors and other items that come up — you can never go wrong with a gift card!
Cosplay gift ideas range from practical to fun, and there are many more ideas that didn’t make the list — so be creative!